Call for project managers 2023
Applications are now open for 2023 fellowship. Applications close on 31. January 2023.
Would you like to make a real difference to people’s lives and help some of the top emerging data scientists to fulfill their potential? Would you like to work with us during the summer 2023 and see how data can be used to work on real world projects that create change? If you have a passion for data science, care about the social good, and love to work in an international team of top talent, then we’re looking for some exceptional people and maybe, that could be you.
Data Science for Social Good fellowship in Germany is a 12-week project-based training activity designed to give aspiring data scientists a strong skill set for solving real-world problems and an understanding, excitement, and passion for solving problems with social impact. Working closely with governments, charities and nonprofits, fellows take on real-world problems in education, health, international development, and more.
Previous Project Managers (PMs) have found the overall experience of DSSGx really rewarding, working on projects that deliver real world solutions alongside highly skilled, motivated and committed fellows. DSSGx is part of a growing, global network of using ‘Data for Social Good’, of which the PMs can become part.
The Data Science PMs are a critical component of DSSGx. PMs work on 2-3 data science projects simultaneously with 2-3 project partners, with a dedicated team of fellows (about 3-4 per project). Each PM is teamed up with a Technical Mentor who leads projects and provides technical assistance to the fellows. PMs also organize some of the fellowship activities, and mentor the fellows in various communication skills activities.
An ideal PM has a some technical background and exposure to technology or data science projects, and several years of industry or consulting experience. We want people who are used to working in an agile, fast paced, start-up like environment with experience managing multiple projects at once.
This role will be for 13 weeks between 5th of June and 8th of September 2023. You will be based at the Technical University Kaiserslautern and the German Research Center for AI (DFKI). We are looking for two full time PMs, but there is potential for a job share for the right applicants.
- Support typically 2 or 3 teams of Fellows (3-4 people per team)
- Help guide the relationship with the project partner as well as ensuring the team is making progress
- Organize some of the fellowship activities
- Mentor the fellows in activities including:
- Presenting, creating a pitch, creating a poster and documentation
- Effective communication with various parties involved in the project (e.g. project partner)
- Creating a data product that meets the needs of users
How to apply
Send the following documents in a single PDF, quoting “PM Application DSSG” in the subject, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A short cover letter stating why you would be the ideal candidate for the position (up to 1 page).
- A detailed CV, with special focus on: work experience, obtained degrees, qualifications in project management (if any), experience working on social impact projects, your track record. You will need to show you have the ‘Right to Work’ in Germany, which may require a visa.
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have:
- Project management and organizational skills and experience, preferably in data science or technology
- A strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with a wide range of people and audiences at all levels
- Ability to build strong working relationships with a wide range of people at all levels
- Diplomatic, able to negotiate and apply judgment in complex areas
- Time management, prioritization and calmness under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and sub-projects
- A passion for making a positive social impact
- Passion and ability to mentor
- Interest in data science and artificial intelligence
We do not expect any candidate to have experience of all of the below! We are a learning team, combining many techniques and approaches to address our projects. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate existing knowledge of more than one criteria, depending on experience level, and, importantly, a commitment to develop new expertise in others.
- Educated to degree level in a scientific and/or technical discipline, or equivalent level of professional qualifications and/or experience
- Creative and effective facilitation of meetings, internal and external
- A qualification or certification in one or more project management processes (e.g. Agile, scrum, Kanban, PRINCE2 etc)
- Experience working within an interdisciplinary academic or research-intensive environment
- Experience with GitHub
- Experience working on social impact projects